LaCie, the French computer hardware company and wholly owned subsidiary of Seagate, recently announced the availability of a 5TB, 7200-rpm hard drive option for its 5big external storage device, which allows the 5big to hit an industry leading total storage capability of 25TB. The new capacity, which is 20% more than had been previously available, was added to combat the growing size of media files and the expected increases that will accompany 4K video in the near future.
The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 25TB
LaCie considers the new storage system to have the largest 5-bay storage solution on the market. While the largest capacity drive is currently the 6TB Ultrastar He6 drive, recently made available in November of 2013, the 5TB hot-swappable drives included in the 5big are still well above the typical top end internal drives in today's PCs.
The 5big is also a RAID enabled storage solution with the ability to enable multiple RAID configurations on a single device. Currently, RAID 0, 1, and JBOD are configurable in the 5big device.
The massive size of the LaCie 5big requires a lightning-fast connection capable of high-speed communication with connected devices and the 5big does not disappoint with its dual Thunderbolt ports. LaCie reports that the 5big can reach communication speeds of up to 785 MB/s, which is considered by the company to be an industry leading speed. The dual Thunderbolt ports allow the device to be daisy-chained with other Thunderbolt enabled devices, which removes the necessity of an external Thunderbolt hub.
The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 25TB is available from the LaCie website and is listed at $2499 with a 3-year limited warranty.
These are the currently listed specification of the LaCie 5big Thunderbolt storage device. (Source)
- Capacity: 10TB, 20TB, 25TB
- Interface: Dual 10Gb/s Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining
- Interface Transfer Rate: Up to 10Gb/s
- Average Transfer Rate: 785MB/s read, 695MB/s write
- Included Disks: 5x swappable hard disks
- Rotational Speed (rpm): 7200rpm
- Cache: 64MB or greater
- RAID Modes: Preconfigured RAID 0 array, RAID 1 / JBOD configuration using Mac OS Disk Utility
- Protocols: Data: PCI Express, Video: Dual-Mode Display Port
- Data Channels: 10Gb/s independent uplink and downlink
- Video Channels: 10Gb/s independent uplink and downlinks
- Daisy Chain: Up to six Thunderbolt technology-compatible devices including LaCie Thunderbolt series products, other Thunderbolt technology-compatible devices, and LaCie professional displays
- Power: Low power mode allows for daisy chaining
- Cables Technology: Thunderbolt cables
- Cooling: Aluminum enclosure, Noctua magnetic levitation cooling fan: high-performance, quiet, zero-vibration
- Acoustic: Standby: Negligible, Idle: 25-28dBA, Operating: 25-29dBA
- Power Supply: 100-240Vca; 47/63Hz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 6.8 x 8.6 x 7.7 in. / 173 x 220 x 196 mm
- Weight: 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs
- System Requirements: Computer with a Thunderbolt port, Mac OS X 10.6 or greater
Share this article: