Amazon is definitely betting big on the Kindle Fire HDX. Coming in both 7" & 8.9" versions, the HDX is the finest tablet Amazon has ever made, and hands down the only competitor on the market for the iPad Air. In his efforts to get users out there to see how good the hardware is, Bezos & Co. is offering a new deal as of yesterday: Buy a Kindle Fire HDX tablet today, and we’ll give you nine months to finish paying for it. It is beyond a sweet deal. Here are the basics: Amazon is letting customers pay for its $229 Kindle Fire HDX seven-inch tablet, or its $379 8.9-inch version, in four-part installment plans. Customers shell out 25 percent of the purchase price — plus tax and shipping charges – when they buy the gadget, and then spread out the remaining three payments in 90-day increments. Yeah. That means you can get it for as cheap as 4 payments of $57.25 for the 7" unit, or $94.75 for the 8.9" one.
And if you haven't had a chance to see the hardware yet, it is quite a nice unit. With a 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and, 323 ppi (pixels per inch) resolution screen, and runs a customized version of Android called Fire OS 3.0. Even with all that high end hardware under the hood, at only 13.2 ounces, the new Kindle Fire is actually lighter than the iPad Air. The 0.29-inch-thick Air is almost imperceptibly thinner than the 0.31-inch Fire HDX 8.9. There aren't a lot of catches with the offer — for instance, Amazon isn't adding any interest charges to its installment plan. With all the other items on everyone's Christmas lists, a $400+ tablet is a tough pill to swallow for most people. But broken down to 4 small payments like this, it is really hard to pass on such a stellar Tablet.
- Exclusive 7" HDX display (1920x1200), high pixel density (323 PPI), and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB) for vivid, lifelike images that go beyond standard HD
- The fastest processor on a 7" tablet—powerful 2.2GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM for fast, fluid multi-tasking, gaming, and video
- Introducing the "Mayday" button—revolutionary, on-device tech support, exclusive to Kindle Fire HDX tablets. Connect for free to an Amazon expert 24x7, 365 days a year
- Stay productive on the go with ultra-fast web browsing, built-in OfficeSuite, and updated e-mail and calendar support for Gmail, Outlook, and more
- Immersive entertainment experience—see trivia and character backgrounds with X-Ray for Movies and TV, follow along with lyrics with new X-Ray for Music, fling videos to your TV with Second Screen, and more
- In addition to Free Two-Day Shipping, Prime members can stream tens of thousands of Prime Instant Video titles at no additional cost, over half of which can be downloaded to the latest generation of Kindle Fire tablets.